A.W.D.A. April Newsletter 2021
Term 1 finishes on Saturday 17th of April. Term 2 begins Monday 3rd of May and has 9 weeks of lessons (with the 10th week of school term no ordinary lessons instead exam rehearsals and exam group lessons). Please ensure that you attend a make-up lesson on another day for any classes missed due to illness or public holiday. Please note there are no lessons on over Easter weekend 2nd – 5th April Friday, Saturday & Monday classes are cancelled but Tuesday classes are still on.
If you haven’t already joined our parent portal please visit:
https://dancestudio-pro.com/online/awda – remember that you can add and drop classes through this, order stock and enter an absence through the attendance link.
We would also appreciate you following us on social media (Instagram and Facebook. For Facebook there is both the Auckland West Dance Academy page and the private page AWDA Band to join.
All Term 2 fees need to be paid by the 3rd week, Saturday 22 May. Only paid up members will be accepted into class after this date.
Your fees should be the same as Term 1. Please let us know if your invoice on the parent portal is incorrect.
The prompt payment discount of $5 per fee is taken off only if paid in the first week, by Saturday 4 May. Fees may be put directly into the ‘fee box’ through the office window or posted to ‘Auckland West Dance Academy’, P O Box 21725, Henderson, Auckland 0650.
Extra discount for multiple lessons per week:
10% for 2 or more classes per week
Please subtract the multiple lesson discount after taking off the prompt payment discount.
SPECIAL OFFER: Take as many dance classes as you like for only $600 with our UNLIMITED package (t&c’s – for one sibling only, no other discounts apply, does not include competition lessons, troupe, open class or private lessons).
* note no credits or refunds on lessons available – catch up lessons allowed
WINTER IS COMING so be sure to have a well fitting wrap round cardi – available to purchase in our dancewear shop. No sweatshirts, Tees, etc. allowed in class. Check our ‘lost property’ cardis from the lost property if you cannot find your one from last year. All other ‘lost property’ items will be donated over the school holidays. Please ensure that you attend all dance classes in the correct dance uniform and with your hair groomed correctly. A notice regarding this has been posted and is on the studio wall. Fantastic AWDA merchandise is available to purchase and can be worn before and after classes.
Drinking water in class:
Students please bring your own water bottle (and fill it at the studio if you like).
Dates to Remember:
· BAL Ballet, BAL Tap & BAL Jazz exam entries need be given to us by the end of Term 1. Cash only accepted for BAL exam entries. Late entries will be accepted in Term 2 but there is a late entry charge.
· RAD Ballet entries are due end of Term 1 cash only.
· Hip Hop exam entries are due end of Term 1 cash only.
· Jazz exam entries are due 8th of May.
· Lyrical Medal Tests entries are due 8th May.
· Ballet Certificate assessment entries are due 8th of May.
· Contemporary exam entries are due 31st of May.
· Pre School Concert is on the afternoon of Sunday 27 June.
· Exam Dance Competition Days – Jazz, Hip Hop, Ballet and Lyrical on Sunday 1st August in the Oratia Primary hall (this date might possibly change TBC).
· Ballet & Jazz Exam rehearsals & extra lessons will be held during school week 10 of Term 2 including weekend lessons either side of this week (27 June – 4 July). If you wish to do the exam you must be available for all rehearsals, please let Kym know ASAP if you have a holiday planned, it may be possible to schedule your rehearsal around this.
· Animal Kingdom, this year’s show, will be on 11 & 12 December with rehearsals the week before.
*Please return your exam entry form with your entry fee to ensure you are entered.
*Please note that for Ballet / BAL / RBM exam entries only CASH is accepted. Cash cheque’s which are crossed need “please pay cash” written on it plus your signature.
We often find it hard to work out which students should sit exams. Most grades are designed to be a full year’s work, with greater commitment and more practice needed as the grades get higher. Some of you will simply not have had enough time on your syllabus and others of you may not have applied yourselves as much as necessary for your level and natural ability. Please try to understand that it is difficult to work out NOW who will be fully prepared in 4 months time. Please note that exams are usually held during school hours and once entries are sent off we cannot get refunds.
If you want to sit your exam/assessment please make sure you have your music and syllabus notes for home practice. For BAL Ballet students sitting examinations from Grade 1 and above it is compulsory to have a ballet theory book as you need to take it into the exam with you.
Senior students please be aware that exams must be sat consecutively from Grade 5 upwards in Ballet, and Major upwards in Jazz (with the exception of Intermediate Level 2 which is an optional exam). Grade exams may only be ‘skipped’ below these. Senior Ballet exams – require an average of two years of study.
* Anyone needing new dance gear for this year’s exams, please do not leave purchasing it to the last minute as we may run out of stock.
Students Only – It is “students only” in all classes in the downstairs studios, viewing is only from classes in studio 1. No spectators in studio 2 & 3 please – unless you are new to our academy. You are then welcome to observe the first lesson.
Private Lessons – The cost for a private lesson is $30 per half hour private lesson (or $20 for a junior teacher).
AWDA Christchurch Trip – We would like to wish our competition students best of luck competing in Christchurch in the school holidays, we can’t wait to watch you perform and do AWDA proud!
Kym 027 264 7287